Saturday 23 August 2014

Saturday Sitdown with Justin Faust!

Unless you've been living in a cave for the past decade, you're probably more than familiar with synth-legend Justin Faust. Mr. Faust has been on our radar for years now, and he's produced some of our favorite tunes over the years. From 'Girl Talk' to 'Your Life', he has created some of the most creative and original synth tracks we've come across so far.

We got in touch with the legend himself and invited him over for one of our classic Saturday Sitdowns. An epic interview with an epic artist...






1) How did Justin Faust begin? What are your origins?

I used to make music and play in bands very early on, at the same time tampering with production in my dad's recording studio. At 16 I started buying records and DJed for a bit, I've also released music under other monikers over the years. Justin Faust came into existence by 2008, back then I felt like I really wanted to do something new and fresh and MySpace was big, so I set up a page and things went pretty quickly from then!


2) If you were trapped on a deserted island with the option of bringing with you either Quentin Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez , who would you bring?

Easy: Tarantino. Of course he's a super annoying coke head but I think he has more stories to tell when we're at the camp fire. 

3) Where would you say your greatest musical influences have come from?

I'd say early funk stuff, also Jazz.. Miles, Coltrane, Monk. Later without any doubt Daft Punk. Also lots of metal and classical music. 

4) What is Justin Faust's all-time favorite electronic based track (this is hard and we're known for asking this)?

Super hard. But I'd say Daft Punk - High Fidelity

5) What's your favorite dessert?

Ketchup.

6) Favorite horror film?

Alien.

7) Where do you see Justin Faust 5 years from now?

I have no clue. I might still be DJing and producing or it might go another direction, like film scores.. it will have to do with music though, that's for sure. 

8) Do you have any EPs, albums, or works in the pipeline? 

Yes, my new single "Spellbound" is coming out on Discotexas on September 12, followed by my debut album on September 19. After that there'll be a second edition of my "Disco Cuts" series out on Nurvous.. and I have a couple of remixes ready to be unleashed soon.

___________________________________________________________________

Also, be sure to check out some of our favorite tracks of his below!

No comments:

Post a Comment